Friday, March 13, 2015

Landed safe and sound

I am finally awake enough to update and let everyone know that I made it safely to Erbil. I flew in and landed last night around 4am, and after baggage claim, passport control, and a short bus ride that takes you between two different buildings in the airport, I was picked up by our driver and dropped off at home. I fell asleep pretty immediately, and slept until around noon, had coffee, took a shower (it's amazing how those little things can make a world of difference in making you feel human again) and met my boss for lunch, an overview of the upcoming week, and a quick tour of our part of Erbil. The neighborhood we live in is the Christian and minority area, so I was shown such hot spots as the local liquor store, as well as the fruit and vegetable stand, bread window, convenience store, ATM, etc. 

Tomorrow we are going to go out as a group to explore the city a bit more, see the citadel of Erbil, which apparently is the oldest continuously inhabited place on earth and a UNESCO Heritage Site. I'll take some pictures then-- I totally spaced on it today. 

Anyway, haven't done much yet so I have very little to report. Just wanted everyone to know I made it safely!

No comments:

Post a Comment