Friday, March 20, 2015

نحن تونس#

I've been watching the news of the killing at the Bardo Museum in Tunis, and been both really saddened to see something so tragic happen there, and really inspired to see the response (which I'd really encourage you to check out), both within and outside of Tunisia.

I just wanted to share something that a classmate from when I was in Tunis posted to his Facebook following the news. I think it sums up my feelings well, and I've been unable to find better words myself. I hope he doesn't mind...

"It is with a heavy heart and tears in my eyes that I read the news from Tunisia today. I, along with millions of Tunisians, mourn the deaths of those killed at the beloved Bardo museum. The Bardo is one of the best museums in the world, a treasure of human heritage second to none.

But, lest we become disheartened, discouraged, or disenchanted with the progress that Tunis has made let us remember that democracies are not forged without challenges. Let us honor the dead. But let us also remember the sacrifices of the living who are fighting day in and day out to protect this bastion of democracy in the Arab world. Let us turn our energy to supporting those who are living. Lets recommit ourselves to the mission ahead of us. Let us not fall victim to helplessness and despair or to polarized ideology. Tunis, its people and its government, should be recognized for its timely, organized, and forceful response to this tragedy. Tunis is building a united and inclusive society that encourages discourse and will not tolerate violence as a means of expression.
It is in the hours of greatest difficulty that we will be challenged and reveal who we are. It is in the hours of greatest darkness that we shine brightest.
‪#‎tunis‬ ‪#‎bardo‬ ‪#‎yahyatunis‬ ‪#‎jasminerevolution‬ ‪#‎arabspring‬"

(And for those wondering, the title of this post means "We are Tunisia.")

No comments:

Post a Comment