Saturday, May 23, 2015

Not all who wander are lost.... but some definitely are.



So I've officially traveled solo for the first time, and I have to say.... I kind of love it. I really thought I would get bored, or lonely, or would run out of stuff to do, and I didn't do any of those things. I saw all of the major touristy things in Prague, with just a couple of exceptions of things I wanted to do that I didn't get around to. I picked up some watercolors (see random doodle above). I started and finished one full book, and finished a second that I've been reading since I was living in Portland. I managed to only check my work email once. I met some exceptionally fun people (typically in and around Irish themed bars), I saw (in no particular order, and with some major things left out I'm sure): the old town square, the Lennon Wall, the Senate and Cultural Gardens, Prague Castle, a particularly excellent bookshop, Charles Bridge, magicians, street musicians, a talking(!) mime, some pretty amazing street art, and enough coffee shops to make me feel right back at home. I also slept a couple of pretty solid days away, so I guess all those guys telling me that I looked like I needed sleep before I left were totally right. 

If you've never traveled solo, let me say, I highly recommend it. There is something to be said for only having to answer to your own schedule and interests. This trip provided a really interesting opportunity, because I was looking to experience "Western" or "American" things as a break from Iraq, looking to rest and catch up on sleep, and looking to do Czech things (both authentically and touristy). I think I succeeded on most fronts. 

The weirdest part is the realization that in my entire life, I've never really done much alone. I consider myself pretty independent, and yet I've always wanted company to go out and eat, to go hang out somewhere, and I've always tended to get bored after a short while of being on my own and eventually sort of found my way back home. Now that I'm used to it though, I may prefer it to traveling with people. 

Anyway, I'm just about to head out for the airport, so double checking my bags are packed and my passport is at the ready. Here's hoping the trip home goes smoothly! 

Please watch this lovely Youtube video. I promise, it's worth it! Entitled: "How to be Alone."




No comments:

Post a Comment